Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Caboose

Today it hit around 95 degrees with a humidity factor that'd turn a simple lawn-mowing chore into a full on shower. By three o'clock, even my ridiculous, tree-climbing cat was too hot to do more than flop around lazily and admire it's own paws. Me? I decided I'd be a moron and go take pictures of the countryside and nearby Oakboro.

First stop, the little train museum. I attempted to get a good shot of the building in question, but the sun was not in my favor, so you'll have to settle for these images, including a caboose! Hehehe, I wonder how many of you even remember what a caboose was?



This was the cart in question! These little tack-ons had several serious purposes back in the day, including watching out for trouble on the foremost carts and engine. There's plenty of info abound here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caboose#Cupola_or_.22standard.22_caboose

Meantime, here's another shot the same one:



I'll be posting more from the train museum tommorow or tonight :)

Edit: I lost the pics after a bad viral infection, sorry to those wanting to see it :(

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel disappointed that they've got the stairs blocked off to keep people off of it.